Thursday, July 21, 2005

Expressing yourself to yourself


I wonder why someone is considered loony, wacky or crazy if they smile to themselves or even talk to themselves. There are times when I have felt like smiling (when I am just happy for no reason or when I remember something funny or happy) but social conditioning makes me look around to make sure no one's watching me. However, when someone is frowning to themselves, we think that they are either just grumpy people or they just had a bad day. I think it's kind of sad. I'd rather have people smile to themselves than frown to themselves. Of course, its an entirely different post to discuss why we associate smiling to positive emotions which has more to do with biology than social conditioning.
p.s: In case you are wondering ( hehe..no i am sure you are), the smile belongs to my 7 year old niece.

No comments: