Friday, June 23, 2006

Inheritance

During my adolescent years, I looked at some of my parents' and grandparents' actions/habits with contempt. My grandmother, for example, gets worked up for little things, if someone comes home late or does not answer phone calls, etc. Both my parents used to have very short tempers which I have witnessed several times and it always annoyed me. My grandfather is a stickler for time and always makes everyone go to the railway station or airport or anywhere else earlier than is required. I remember looking at all these events and to me all of them seemed unnecessary. I prided myself on my ability to always be a cool cat, not to lose my temper and be very flexible.

But, to my chagrin, I have been noticing lately I am becoming more and more like my parents and grandparents, especially in exhibiting characteristics that I didnt appreciate very much and still dont. Agreed, each person has their own eccentricities and quirks. But what alarms me is the exact nature of these behaviors that I have begun displaying. It surprises me, alarms me and also fascinates me.

No comments: