Monday, June 20, 2005

Anniyan

Right now, I wish I was living in a city filled with enough desis to warrant playing Anniyan in theatres. What a pity Albuquerque only has a miniscule Tamil speaking population . I just read the Anniyan review from Teakada. I must admit that I have never been too impressed by any of Shankar's movies as they fail to satisfy one criteria of mine for great movies - repeat_watchability (is that a word?). I have watched all his earlier movies but cant really say I want to watch them over and over again unlike Maniratnam's movies. But I still want to watch Anniyan for 2 reasons - I havent watched a good Tamil movie for a long time (the last one that I liked was Kadhal, for its realism) and of course, for Vikram. Ah, What fun it would be to watch the movie in Sathyam or Devi .....hmm....maybe not.....I watched Ayutha Ezhuthu in Sathyam last Summer. My friend Kala and I were desperate to see the movie as we were both leaving India in the next few days. We got the ticket in black (black tickets?!)(which btw, was very very tough). Our seats were among the first 10 rows near the screen and my neighboring seat was occupied by this guy who was watching the movie for the nth time. How do I know? he kept saying out the dialogs aloud a few seconds before they were uttered on screen, throughout the movie. Then his phone rang. He picks it up and goes " hey , naan theatrele erukken da...Trisha azharaa keekuriya? " and then extends his hand with his cell phone towards the screen !!! whatever !

No comments: