Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Of Tunics and Kurtas

I went to the outlet mall in Park City, UT and observed the same trend that I had seen in other malls. There are Indian clothes (I dont mean clothes made in India but actual desi clothes) everywhere .... In Express and in Gap -- 2 of my favorite stores. And they are so expensive. Beautiful embroidered short kurtas, Rajasthani prints, zari/chumki work, soft printed cotton tops --all going by the name - tunics. I may be biased but I think the colors, patterns and textures that Indian clothes (especially sarees and salwar kurtas) come in are absolutely fantastic and also unmatched. If I had some money, it seems like a good time to open a store featuring desi clothes. One of my fave stores in Chennai is Surang. They have a good selection of salwar kameezes (Is that the right spelling?) and ghaghra cholis but the prices are a little towards the higher end. There are 2 branches, one in Kasi Arcade (side note: I am surprised that Kasi Arcade is still open. I half expected it to be demolished and see an apartment complex springing up when I went there last summer, considering that most of the stores there have closed) and one on Cathedral road.
I used to get some of my clothes tailored at a store called Aesthetica in Spencer Plaza. It was owned by a lady called Shubha (don't know her last name). Imagine my surprise when I read an article that claimed that she was on her way to the Guiness book of records for producing the most number of films in a year or something like that ! Neat .

No comments: